Kids tend to like the boxed stuff, but this version will win them over with gooey goodness (and none of the yucky processed stuff). Fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano makes this a dish grown-ups will love, too!
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound elbow, shell or other bite-size shaped pasta
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter (we like Vermont Butter & Cheese)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 pound grated Red Wax Gouda
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil in large pot. Add salt and pasta. Cook pasta al dente following manufacturer’s instructions. Drain pasta, then pour onto a large lipped baking sheet to cool and prevent sticking while preparing sauce.
- Lightly heat the milk and broth in a sauce pan. Melt butter in the empty pasta pot; whisk in flour, followed by warm milk mixture. Continue to whisk until thick and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in mustard & Parmigiano. Turn off heat, stir in grated Gouda until melted.
- Add drained pasta to sauce, and stir until everything is well combined over low heat. Stir to heat through, and thin with a little water if the sauce is too thick. Serve hot.