Kaserei Kraus Rampe Kase
This item is temporarily unavailable
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 3 Months
- Cow Milk
German creamery Kaserei Kraus captures the fleeting flavor of wild ramps in every wheel of Rampe Kase. Made with raw cow’s milk, it balances the grassy flavors of the Bavarian countryside with a garlicky, oniony bite. The lacy, elastic interior is studded green and oh-so snackable. It’s like sour cream and onion chips by way of a farmer’s market on a spring day. Serve with Pacific Pickle Works Asparagusto! for a fresh bite, and use the rest to make the best grilled cheese of your life.
- Ramps, sometimes called wild leeks, are a member of the allium family, which includes onion, garlic, scallion, shallot, and leek.
- Their flavor is somewhere between the milder leek and stronger scallion, with a more pronounced garlicky bite.
- Ramps have a particularly short growing season in early spring, lasting for about three weeks.
- In cheese form, the ramps aren’t overpoweringly oniony, balanced by the creamy, buttery cheese.
- Four months of aging results in a springy, semi-firm paste that’s great for snacking or melting.