Greensward with The Macallan Scotch and Bacon Marmalade
Recipe: Greensward with The Macallan Scotch and Bacon Marmalade
Greensward with The Macallan Scotch and Bacon MarmaladeA savory, spoonable whisky-infused cheese dip
- Prep Time : 10 min.
- Cook Time : 40 min.
- Total Time : 60 min.
- Serves 4-6
- 1 wheel of Murray's Greensward, room temperature
- 1/2 cup The Macallan 10 Year Single Malt
- or 1 wheel of Jasper Hill Farm Harbison
- 1/2 lb. slab bacon, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 bunch ramps
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- Begin by pickling the ramps. Discard the leaves and clean the bottoms of the ramps. Heat the white wine vinegar, granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a small pot until it reaches a boil. Drop the ramp bottoms in the liquid and cook for about 20 seconds. Remove from heat and cool immediately.
- Cut the bacon into 1/8 inch-thick slices and put into a freezer for at least 20 minutes. Once frozen, dice the bacon. Meanwhile, heat a medium pan over medium flame. Add the bacon and onion. Cook until the bacon fat has rendered, about 8 minutes. Remove the bacon and onion and set aside. In the same pan, add the scotch, brown sugar, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Reduce until a syrup consistency is reached, then remove from flame to cool. Once cool, mix in the bacon and mustard, along with a couple additional splashes of cider vinegar and scotch. Season with salt.
- Spoon the bacon marmalade over the cheese and garnish with the pickled ramps. Enjoy with toasted bread.