Israeli Couscous & Chickpea Bowl
Recipe: Israeli Couscous & Chickpea Bowl
Israeli Couscous & Chickpea BowlA taste of the Mediterranean
- Prep Time : 15 min.
- Cook Time : 35 min.
- Total Time : 50 min.
- Serves 4
- For Couscous Bowl
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 small cucumber, preferably Persian, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup Feta, diced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, from about 1 fruit
- 4 cups loosely packed arugula
- 2 cups Israeli couscous
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sumac
- salt and pepper to taste
- For Yogurt Dressing
- 2 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 5 whole lemons, zested and juiced
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried basil or oregano, or a mixture of the two
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°. Toss drained chickpeas with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and spread onto a parchment-lined sheet tray. Bake until crunchy, about 20 minutes.
- Toss the cherry tomatoes in another tablespoon of olive oil and place on a separate parchment-lined sheet tray. Insert into the oven five minutes after the chickpeas, baking them for 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes look like they are beginning to collapse. Remove both trays from oven and let cool.
- While chickpeas and tomatoes are baking, bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the couscous to the boiling water and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- To make the dressing, put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Compose the salad by dividing the couscous, roasted tomatoes, and arugula into 4 bowls and dress each bowl with about ¾ cups of the yogurt dressing, or to your liking. Garnish the bowls with cucumbers, feta, chickpeas, and pomegranate. Sprinkle sumac over each bowl and serve.