Italian Fontina Fonduta
Recipe: Italian Fontina Fonduta
Italian Fontina FondutaThe Italian take on Fondue.
- Prep Time : 10 min.
- Cook Time : 15 min.
- Total Time : 25 min.
- Serves 4
- FOR FONDUTA
- 1/2 lb. Fontina Val D’Aosta, grated
- 2 tbsp white truffle butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 each egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- FOR DIPPING
- 1 loaf small ciabatta, cut into cubes
- 1 each green peppers, sliced
- 1 bunch red grapes
- 4 oz. Murray's Italian Sopressata, cut into cubes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sweet pickled peppers
- 1/2 cup balsamic marinated cipollini onions
- To make the fonduta, begin by bringing about 2 inches of water to a boil in a medium sauce pot. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and place a larger bowl over the pot to make a double boiler, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Melt the white truffle butter in the bowl. Meanwhile, whisk the milk, cream, and egg whites together. Add the grated cheese and salt.
- Add the milk, cheese, cream and egg yolk mixture to the double boiler and whisk constantly until the sauce has thickened, about 8-12 minutes.
- Keep the fonduta warm in a fondue serving dish and serve with suggested dipping accoutrements or use whatever is in season!