Mediterranean Carrot Salad with Creme Fraiche and Parmigiano Frico
Recipe: Mediterranean Carrot Salad with Creme Fraiche and Parmigiano Frico
Mediterranean Carrot Salad with Creme Fraiche and Parmigiano FricoA bright and briny vegetarian salad with homemade cheese crisps
- Prep Time : 10 min.
- Cook Time : 20 min.
- Total Time : 30 min.
- Serves 2-4
- FOR SALAD
- 1 pound carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped pitted Castelvetrano or other nice green olives
- 4 medjool dates, pitted and very roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1/2 cup lighly packed roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- extra-virgin olive oil (such as Murray’s Italian EVOO)
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- FOR FRICO
- 1 cup finely grated or shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano (or any other hard grating cheese)
- silicone baking sheet or parchment paper
Directions For Frico
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of cheese onto mat or parchment paper on a baking sheet, spreading each mound about 3" wide and spacing at least 1" apart.
- Bake cheese until light brown and melted, 5-6 minutes (check occasionally while baking so it won't turn too brown). Remove sheet from oven and let frico cool completely. They should feel solid and brittle.
- Carefully peel fricos off of sheet and set aside.
Directions For Salad
- Split larger carrots lengthwise and leave slender carrots whole. Cut them on a sharp angle so you have long, angled, 1/4 inch-thick pieces of carrot.
- Put the carrots in a medium saucepan or skillet, add a glug of olive oil and 1/2 cup water, and season with the chile flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and many twists of black pepper.
- Cook at a lively simmer, uncovered, until the carrots are just crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes—they should still have definite crunch.
- Cool the carrots slightly, drain off any liquid, and pile into a bowl, then add the olives and dates.
- Pour in the vinegar and toss. Taste and adjust with salt, black pepper, chile flakes, or vinegar until the flavor is super vibrant. Add parsley and toss again.
- Divide the crème fraîche among 4 plates or a platter and spread it around in a nice schmear.
- Pile the carrot salad on top, leaving some cream visible. If you’re serving with the fricos, lay them on top, either whole or broken into shards.