The Olympia Provisions Grilled Summer Salad
Recipe: The Olympia Provisions Grilled Summer Salad
The Olympia Provisions Grilled Summer SaladApricots + Corn + Smoked Ham = One Superior Salad
- Prep Time : 20 min.
- Cook Time : 60 min.
- Total Time : 80 min.
- Serves 4
- FOR SALAD
- 1 cup freekeh
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup farro
- 8 oz. Olympia Provisions Sweetheart Ham, diced
- 4 apricots
- 2 ears yellow corn
- Place each grain in it’s own small sauce pot and cover with 1 quart water. Season liberally with salt (as if for pasta) and bring to a simmer. Cook until the grains are tender to your liking, anywhere between 15 minutes and an hour, depending on the type and age of the grain. When grains are tender, drain them in a colander and place in a shallow dish to cool. Combine cooked grains and set aside until ready to serve. If waiting more than an hour, cover tightly and refrigerate.
- Prepare a grill. Cut the apricots in half and brush their cut surfaces with a little olive oil and season lightly with salt. Grill for about one minute over a hot fire, until charred but still a little firm. Do not let the apricots turn mushy. Remove them from the grill, using a spatula so as not to tear the flesh. Cool apricots to room temperature and cut into wedges.
- Shuck the corn and place the ears directly on the hot grill. Char them well on all sides, then cool slightly and cut the kernels from the ears.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by placing all ingredients except the oil in a blender and blending until smooth. With the machine running, drizzle in the oils to create a fully emulsified vinaigrette.
- To assemble the salad, combine the grains, grilled apricot wedges, grilled corn, and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Add the vinaigrette and toss gently, being sure not to break up the apricots. Divide among 4 salad plates and distribute the diced ham on top.