Summer Squash & Halloumi Salad
Recipe: Summer Squash & Halloumi Salad
Summer Squash & Halloumi SaladA Satisfying & Refreshing Summer Salad
- Prep Time : 10 min.
- Cook Time : 25 min.
- Total Time : 35 min.
- Serves 4
- 1 1/2 cup Farro Grain
- 1 tsp Spanish Saffron
- 1/2 bunch Mint, stem removed and finely cut
- 2 tsp Champagne Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 bunch Green Onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup Marcona Almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1/4 cup Capers
- 6-7 ea. small to medium sized summer squashes
- 1/4 cup Murray’s Italian EVOO
- 4 tsp Murray’s Picual Reserva EVOO
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 package Halloumi, 8 ounces
- 3 oz. Arugula
- To cook the farro, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small pot. Add the saffron, and 1 tablespoon of salt. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until most of the water has been absorbed and the faro is al-dente.
- Let the farro cool, then add the mint, green onion, raisins, capers, almonds, vinegar, 4 teaspoons of olive oil and more salt if necessary. Set the farro mixture aside.
- To roast the squash, heat the olive oil in a medium size pan, until it is slightly smoking. Meanwhile, cut the squash into 1/2 inch thick circles.
- Gently place the squash into the pan and season with salt. Add the garlic cloves and continue to roast the squash until it has completely browned on the cut side, approximately 4 minutes.
- Once brown, turn off the heat, and add two tablespoons of butter and the thyme to the pan. Swirl the roasted squash around the pot while the butter browns. Once the butter has browned, remove the squash from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
- For the Halloumi, heat another medium pan on medium heat. Cut the Halloumi into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Add them to the pan and cook on each side until the cheese begins to brown, 1-2 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile combine the arugula, farro and marcona almonds and mix thoroughly. Place this mixture in a large bowl and garnish with the roasted squash and halloumi cheese.