Jasper Hill Farm Willoughby
This item is temporarily unavailable
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 3-7 Weeks
- Cow Milk
- by Jasper Hill Farm
- United States
This washed-rind stunner from Jasper Hill is made with pasteurized cow’s milk and develops a pudgy, pudding-like texture as it ages. A mix of earthy, herbaceous flavors and a peaty, beefy aroma round out its multidimensional taste. Try Jasper Hill Farm Willoughby with B&R Farms Blenheim Apricots and a drizzle of honey to contrast its intense flavors with some sweetness.
- Willoughby was first created at Ploughgate Creamery in Vermont.
- After a fire at the Ploughgate Creamery in 2011, Jasper Hill bought the recipe for this cheese and took over production.
- Named for Lake Willoughby in Vermont, this pasteurized cow’s milk cheese is washed in brine during the aging process.
- The thin, tender rind develops a rosy hue and a strong aroma of peat, roasted beef, and onions.
- The cheese within is milky with herbaceous, with contrasting meaty flavors and ripe-peach notes. The slightly pudgy texture becomes increasingly meaty toward the rind.
Located in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, Jasper Hill Farm is a dairy farm with an on-site creamery where they make and age a variety of well-loved cheeses.
The state-of-the-art Cellars at Jasper Hill Farm consist of 22,000 square-feet of underground space, where they ripen Jasper Hill Creamery cheeses as well as cheeses from other local producers.
Their farm team cuts and bails hay during summer to dry for winter months, ensuring their cows have local feed during the harsh Vermont winters.
Among other waste management projects, they feed leftover whey from cheesemaking to heritage breed pigs who live outside the cows’ pasture.
Characterized by bracing acidity and stark minerality. Tropical fruit on the nose, stunningly balanced flavor overall.