Marieke Truffle Gouda
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 2-4 Months
- Cow Milk
- by Penterman Farm
- United States
Gouda this good doesn’t need adornment, but it’s hard to resist the addition of truffle. Marieke’s young gouda is crafted from raw Wisconsin cow’s milk according to Dutch tradition, resulting in creamy wheels with a gentle, nutty sweetness. The addition of earthy black truffles and truffle oil takes this cheese from snackable to savor-worthy. Melt it into your next mac for some woodsy flair, or give it a star turn on a board with Miele Thun Millefiori Wildflower Honey and Bello Rustico Crostini.
- Gouda is a washed-curd cheese, meaning that after the curds are cut, they’re rinsed with water. This clears away residual lactic acid from the cheesemaking process, letting the cheese’s milky sweetness shine.
- Marieke Truffle Gouda is aged on Dutch pine planks a for a minimum of 60 days, resulting in a dense yet creamy texture and excellent melting abilities.
- Truffles are a prized type of fungi found on the roots of trees; they grow only in the wild and are very seasonal. Black truffles have an earthy, deep flavor and aroma.
- This truffle gouda is crafted with pieces of black truffle and with truffle oil, which provides an extra boost of flavor.
- With its woodsy flavor, this cheese pairs beautifully with tart, rich Divina Sour Cherry Spread, whether on a cracker or in a grilled cheese.
- Marieke® Gouda is named for cofounder Marieke Penterman, who grew up on her parents’ 60-cow dairy farm in the Netherlands.
- She started Marieke® Gouda with her husband Rolf in Thorp, Wisconsin, where they produce their Gouda using equipment, cultures, herbs, and spices from Holland.
- Among many accolades, Marieke became the first woman to win the Wisconsin Outstanding Young Farmer Award in 2015.
- The milk they use for cheesemaking comes from Penterman Farm, located right across the street. Their cows live in a free-stall barn, allowing the animals to roam freely with 24/7 access to food.