Old Chatham Sheepherding Hudson Valley Camembert
- Microbial Rennet
- Age: 2-3 Weeks
- Cow Milk
- Sheep Milk
- by Old Chatham Creamery
- United States
This isn’t your typical Camembert. Blending pasteurized sheep’s milk with cow’s milk and cream, Old Chatham Sheepherding Co’s Hudson Valley Camembert combines a dense, silky texture with mild notes of wet stone, butter and button mushrooms. Served with Rustic Bakery Flatbread crackers, it’s the perfect companion to a glass of white Bordeaux.
- To make their Hudson Valley Camembert, Old Chatham Creamery uses unconventional methods to create a classic cheese.
- To maintain a more efficient supply of sheep’s milk, regardless of season, Old Creamery’s herdsmen developed their own system to maintain productivity.
- Typically, the shortening of days after the summer cues sheep’s fall mating patterns.
- By leaving barn lights on for 22 hours a day during fall and winter months, the herdsmen prevent any disruption to the milk supply.
- In the spring, when sheep return to pasture, 10 rams are introduced to the herd to make up for lost time—a process known as the “Ram Effect.”
- The blend of sheep’s milk and cow’s milk and cream creates a smooth Camembert with a thick texture and a salty, mild flavor that earned its status as a 2011 American Cheese Society (ACS) Winner.
- For over 25 years, Old Chatham Creamery has produced award-winning, artisan sheep’s, and cow’s milk cheeses and yogurts.
- Through its fully-integrated operations, Old Chatham uses milk directly from their own flock of sheep and herd of cows.
- Their interpretations of classic European cheeses, coupled with cutting edge production methods and expert cheesemakers, create classic, flavorful cheeses.
- Old Chatham has been a consistent collaborator for Murray’s Cavemaster cheeses, not only by providing Camembert and Kinderhook cheeses but also by welcoming Murray’s to their creamery to develop the recipe for the Cavemaster Original 80:10:10 cheese. In fact, Kinderhook became one of Murray’s very first Cavemaster Reserve cheeses: C-Local.
- Murray’s Stockinghall Cheddar is now made by Old Chatham Creamery.