- Animal Rennet
- Age: 3-5 Weeks
- Goat Milk
- by Murray's Cheese
This pasteurized goat’s milk cheese is tangy with notes of walnut and a lemony finish. Hand-ladled curds form a delicate log that arrives fresh from the Loire Valley ready to age in Murray’s Caves. Once Sainte-Maure arrives, it’s coated with vegetable ash then carefully attended to by our affineurs as it develops a thin, mottled rind over a three to four-week period. Bring out the savory side of this cakey cheese with some Jambon de Bayonne and Trois Petits Cochons Cornichons.
- Produced in the Loire Valley in France, Sainte-Maure is made with pasteurized goat’s milk.
- The temperate climate of the Loire Valley, often called “the garden of France,” provides excellent conditions for cheesemaking.
- Once milk has coagulated, the curds aren’t cut but are instead hand-ladled into molds.
- Traditionally, this cheese is aged with a piece of rye straw inserted through its center to keep it stable as it’s handled and transported.
- However, because Murray’s ages its own Sainte-Maure, it’s made without the signature straw through its center.
- The cheeses arrive fresh to Murray’s Caves.
- Though some wheels do arrive ashed, our caves team prefers to ash the unripened wheels themselves to better control the process and create a more consistent cheese.
- The logs are rolled in vegetable ash to give it a mottled, gray exterior.
- The vegetable ash lowers the cheese’s acidity level, which means the mold rind can grow more quickly and absorb moisture as the cheese dries out.
- Murry’s Sainte-Maure is inspired by the AOC-protected cheese, Sainte-Maure de Tourane.
- The cheese is believed to date back to the 9th century, when Moorish women introduced goat’s milk cheese to the region.
- After centuries of production, the cheese earned an AOC (“Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée” or “controlled designation of origin”) designation in1990,
- Because Murray's ages our own Sainte-Maure sans-signature straw, and because it is made with pasteurized goat’s milk (not raw), it cannot bear the name “Sainte-Maure de Touraine.”
- At Murray’s, we are cheese experts and enthusiasts who make, source, sell, and serve exceptional cheese and specialty foods nationwide.
- The Murray’s Cheese branded product line comprises deliciously distinct, time-honored products made with the finest ingredients by passionate producers across the globe.
- These products have been hand-selected by our trusted cheesemongers, who travel the world to taste countless items in search of flavors that are exceptional enough to be included in our branded product line.
- We build strong relationships with our talented production partners. They trust our team to handle the extraordinary goods they’ve worked hard to perfect, as we bring them to households across the country.
- Whether you’re looking for Gruyère from Switzerland, Brie from France, or Prosciutto di Parma from Italy, with a Murray’s branded product, you’ll receive our favorite version of a traditional product at an incredible value.