von Trapp Farmstead Mad River Blue
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 4-6 Months
- Cow Milk
- by von Trapp Farmstead
- United States
Straight from the Mad River valley in Waitsfield, Vermont, this buttery smooth blue is made with von Trapp Farmstead’s certified organic milk. Its gorgeous blue veining imparts a mild piquancy that plays well with the cheese’s other flavors—anise, cocoa, dried fruit and a luscious umami. It's complex and satisfying, especially when paired with Cru Chocolate’s Nicaragua 72% Dark Chocolate Bar.
- Serve with fresh berries for a unique dessert, or crumble over steak or arugula and cranberry salad.
- The wheels are pierced while young to encourage the growth of Penicillium roqueforti, and then aged for four to six months, during which time they develop their blue veining and a natural rind.
- The von Trapps are a family that's three generations deep in dairy. Sebastian von Trapp is carrying on the tradition started by his grandparents, Erika and Werner, who started farming in Waitsfield, Vermont after arriving from Austria.
- In an effort to modernize the family business, Sebastian added an on-site creamery in 2009 to make use of the organic milk produced from Normande, Montbéliarde, and Ayrshire cows.
- von Trapp Farmstead is committed to feeding their cows a diverse diet including very little grain and letting them get lots of exercise—this results in them producing a smaller volume of milk that’s more flavorful.
- The farm also uses regenerative farming practices to improve soil health and increase biodiversity.