B&R Farms Dried Apricot Spread
- by B & R Farms
- United States
This is no ordinary fruit spread; this is a jar jam-packed with the rare and delicate Blenheim apricot. Tart on the outside, sweet on the inside, this fruit is freshly picked from B&R Farms California orchard, sun-dried, and then mixed with lemon juice and sugar. The spread tastes like this juicy apricot frozen in its moment of ripe perfection. This family-crafted recipe spreads flavor onto everything from yogurt to toast—we love it with creamy fresh robiola.
- Blenheim apricots have become increasingly rare for a number of reasons: they have a very short harvesting season (sometimes as few as 10 days), they are very sensitive to disease and sun exposure, and their fragility makes transport difficult.
- Making the spread from dried and not fresh apricots concentrates the flavor and intensity of the fruit.
- This is a welcome burst of fruit flavor anywhere you’d use a jam, but it also makes an amazing glaze for roast chicken.
- Since 1929, the family-owned and operated B&R farms has specialized in the production and harvesting of Blenheim Apricots.
- The Hollister, California facility originally started as an orchard for a wide variety of fruits, and has since grown into a 40-acre stretch that grows Blenheim Apricots exclusively.
- Jim and Mari Rossi, along with their son Brian and their dedicated staff, tend to the fruit.
- The peak harvest time for Blenheim Apricots occurs in mid-summer and is known for its brevity—sometimes as short as ten days.
- As it ripens, it’s also subject to the whims of nature—including disease and sunburn.
- The Rossi family and their orchard team are tasked with the grading, sorting, packaging and cool storage of the apricots.
- B&R Farms was started by Jim’s grandparents, Frank and Mary, and subsequently operated by his parents, Emil and Elsie, before he and his family took over operations.
- Beyond dried Blenheims, they offer an array of apricot products including preserves, purees, and chocolates.