King Island Dairy Roaring Forties Blue
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 2-3 Months
- Cow Milk
- by King Island Dairy
Named for the blustering, westerly winds that blow across King Island, Australia—where this cheese is made—Roaring Forties Blue is a flavorful cow’s milk cheese. The rindless wheels mature in black wax, which keeps them moist and ensures a smooth, creamy texture. The flavor profile—sweet, grassy, and nutty—benefits from the uniquely rich, sweet milk that results from the cows’ year-round consumption of the island’s verdant and salty pastures. A buttery port will complement this blue’s complexity.
- Roaring Forties Blue won Champion Cheese at the New York Fancy Food Fair in 2002.
- Black wax rind helps this cheese retain its moisture, creating a smooth and creamy texture.
- King Island is located in the Australian state of Tasmania.
- King Island Dairy is named for the island where it's located, which is situated in the Bass Strait between Tasmania and mainland Australia.
- They get milk delivered daily from local farms, where cows graze on grass kissed by salt spray, resulting in a sweeter, richer milk.
- All of King Island Dairy’s cheeses are made from milk produced on the island.