Murray's Cave Aged Original 80:10:10
- Microbial Rennet
- Age: 2 Months
- Cow Milk
- Goat Milk
- Sheep Milk
- by Murray's Cheese Caves
- United States
Named for its recipe ratio—an 80:10:10 mix of cow’s milk, sheep’s milk, and goat’s milk—this award-wining Murray’s Cavemaster Original washed rind cheese was inspired by Taleggio. Notes of freshly-churned butter on a crisp baguette complement a rind that tastes like caramelized mushrooms, and a texture of fresh bread dough. Its bold flavor profile deserves an equally bold snack pair, like Murray's Spicy Jalapeno Pickle Chips.
- Based on a Taleggio recipe, 80:10;10 is a unique triple-milk washed rind exclusive to Murray’s Cheese.
- Using an 80:10:10 ratio mix of cow’s milk, sheep’s milk, and goat’s milk, the squares are made upstate at the Old Chatham Creamery according to a recipe co-created by Murray’s and the creamery. They then spend six weeks aging in Murray’s Washed Rind Cave.
- The straw-colored paste takes on buttery, bready notes during the aging process.
- With a rind reminiscent of caramelized mushrooms, 80:10:10 develops a doughy, elastic, funky paste as it ages in Murray’s Washed Rind cave.
- It’s an instant crowd pleaser—even winning second place in the Open Category at the 2019 American Cheese Society (ACS) competition.
- At Murray’s Cheese Caves in Queens, New York, our experts age and mature cheeses to perfection, creating unique products that are exclusive to Murray’s.
- We built our caves to enhance the quality of our products, as well as to honor the craft of cheesemakers across the globe. The practice of aging cheese, known in French as affinage, was relatively rare in the United States when we built our first set of caves in 2004.
- The cheeses that mature in our caves are crafted in a variety of ways, which are reflected on their labels, described below.
- Cave Aged Original cheeses are produced from a Murray’s original recipe—we have a hand in every step of the cheesemaking process.
- Cave Aged Reserve cheeses are made in collaboration with some of our favorite cheesemakers. They send us unaged wheels, and we use unique aging techniques to produce something completely new.
- Cave Aged Limited cheeses are born out of our constant innovation and experimentation, only available for a limited time.
- Cheeses in the Cave Aged category are aged in our caves with methods that replicate the treatment they would’ve received from their original producer. This category is largely populated by bloomy rind cheeses that don’t fare well in transport.
- Murray's operates four caves, designed to ensure that each cheese matures in its ideal environment—the Bloomy Rind Cave, Natural Rind Cave, Washed Rind Cave, and Alpine Cave.
- The temperature, humidity, and microbial activity in each cave are controlled and monitored with the greatest precision.