Murray's Cave Aged Original Stockinghall Cheddar
- Microbial Rennet
- Age: 10-12 Months
- Cow Milk
- by Murray's Cheese Caves
- United States
Stockinghall Cheddar is a uniquely Murray’s creation. Very young wheels are cloth bandaged and then aged for one year in Murray’s Natural Rind Cave. Recognized by American Cheese Society as the 2019 Best of Show winner, this cheese combines meaty bacon and sour cream flavors with surprising hints of pineapple. A cheese this rich in flavor deserves to be paired with an equally flavorful Merlot or stout and given a place of honor on a cheese plate complete with Murray’s Genoa Salami and Apple Butter.
- Murray's Stockinghall Cheddar is the result of a year-long experimentation at Cornell University’s Dairy Science facility with our partners at Old Chatham Creamery.
- Murray’s uses a unique cheddaring method of stacking curds inside the molds.
- Old Chatham Creamery in upstate New York now makes the wheels exclusively for Murray’s Cheese.
- Wheels arrive fresh from Old Chatham Creamery at just a week and half old.
- Upon arrival to Murray’s Cheese Caves, they’re wrapped in cheese cloth and rubbed in lard before the aging process begins.
- The wheels spend at least 1 year in Murray’s Natural Rind Cave being brushed and flipped regularly.
- This crumbly, fudgy cheese pairs perfectly with apples, but goes equally well with mustard and pretzels.
- At Murray’s Cheese Caves in Queens, New York, our experts age and mature cheeses to perfection, creating unique products that are exclusive to Murray’s.
- We built our caves to enhance the quality of our products, as well as to honor the craft of cheesemakers across the globe. The practice of aging cheese, known in French as affinage, was relatively rare in the United States when we built our first set of caves in 2004.
- The cheeses that mature in our caves are crafted in a variety of ways, which are reflected on their labels, described below.
- Cave Aged Original cheeses are produced from a Murray’s original recipe—we have a hand in every step of the cheesemaking process.
- Cave Aged Reserve cheeses are made in collaboration with some of our favorite cheesemakers. They send us unaged wheels, and we use unique aging techniques to produce something completely new.
- Cave Aged Limited cheeses are born out of our constant innovation and experimentation, only available for a limited time.
- Cheeses in the Cave Aged category are aged in our caves with methods that replicate the treatment they would’ve received from their original producer. This category is largely populated by bloomy rind cheeses that don’t fare well in transport.
- Murray's operates four caves, designed to ensure that each cheese matures in its ideal environment—the Bloomy Rind Cave, Natural Rind Cave, Washed Rind Cave, and Alpine Cave.
- The temperature, humidity, and microbial activity in each cave are controlled and monitored with the greatest precision.
Drier, more like a beer, with nice acidity.
Whiskey is every bit as diverse, intricate, and nuanced as cheese, so it helps to know which whiskies go best with which cheeses. Unique and complex, its sweetness can enhance the caramel and toffee notes for which some cheeses are so beloved.