New York State White Cheddar 6 months
This item is temporarily unavailable
- Microbial Rennet
- Age: 6 Months
- Cow Milk
- United States
This White Cheddar is a true New York classic. Tangy and creamy with a touch of sweetness, it captures the best of the Empire State. Try New York State 6 Month White Cheddar melted in a grilled cheese for a comfort classic, or enjoy on a cheese plate with Brooklyn Cured Beef Salami and Trois Petits Cochons Cornichons.
- New York State 6 month White Cheddar is produced near Syracuse using pasteurized cow’s milk.
- Cheddar cheese first originated in England but remains one of the most popular cheeses available in the U.S.
- This cheese is made with a process called “cheddaring,” which involves putting curds through a mill to grind them into rice-size pieces and expel extra whey. The curds are then salted and formed into blocks that get stacked on top of each other to expel even more whey through compression. Finally, they are shaped using molds and aged to give the cheese its signature flavor profile.
- White cheddars can range in color based on the cow’s diet. Milk from cows with diets rich in beta-carotene (from vegetables and fresh grass) yield cheeses with a deeper, nearly golden hue. Milk from cows that feed on hay and oats will yield ivory-toned cheeses.
- New York State White Cheddar is made from the milk of cows fed on hay and oats, giving the cheese a pale ivory color and a balanced flavor profile featuring sweet, milky notes and a peppery bite.