Vacherin Mont D'Or
This item is temporarily unavailable
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 60 Days
- Cow Milk
Produced over a single season each year, Vacherin Mont d'Or is as exclusive as it is silky and luscious. Hailing from Switzerland, it's crafted from cow’s milk produced during the fall and winter months—when the herd spends its days munching straw and fodder instead of grazing on the pasture. This specific diet imbues the cheese with a distinct richness, while a unique spruce wrapping brings irresistible woodsy notes to the spoonable interior. Since its availability is limited each year, make the most of every bite by enjoying it with an aromatic gewurztraminer.
- This cheese must be made with milk from cows feeding on straw and fodder; once the herd is outside to graze at pasture, their milk is used for larger Alpine cheeses.
- The extra richness comes from the higher fat content of the milk due to the animal’s winter diet.
- Swiss regulations dictate the cheese must be produced at elevations of 2,297 feet or higher.
- This cheese is only available from October through April, making it an elusive delicacy.
- The spreadable, silky texture of the cheese is held in place by a strip of bark that is taken from the cambium layer, the part just under the outerbark of local trees.
- The wood is boiled and soaked until bendable and acts like a belt to keep the ooze of the cheese contained