Roomano Extra Aged Gouda
This item is temporarily unavailable
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 36 Months
- Cow Milk
One of Murray’s most aged cheeses, Roomano Extra Aged Gouda spends three years maturing in the Netherlands before it makes its way to the U.S. Though it isn’t technically a Gouda–it contains just below the required fat content to classify it as such—it’s still rich and craggy with a savory butterscotch crunch. Try it drizzled with some Mike’s Hot Honey and a glass of bourbon.
- Similar to an aged Gouda, Roomano is actually from the “Proosdij” cheese family.
- These cheeses have 45 percent butterfat, just below the 48 percent required to classify them as a Gouda.
- Roomano is made from pasteurized cow’s milk and aged for three years.
- To differentiate it from Gouda, the bottom of the Roomano wheel is flattened during the aging process.
- Roomano’s hard, craggy paste is speckled with clusters of calcium lactate crystals that coalesce as the cheese ages.
- Roomano takes on a burnt orange in color as it ages, along with a flavor that’s both sweet and savory with a butterscotch crunch.