- Animal Rennet
- Age: 3-5 Weeks
- Goat Milk
- by Murray's Cheese
Unaged goat’s milk cheese arrives from France’s Loire Valley to Murray’s aging caves, where it’s coated in vegetable ash and salt which develops the perfect rind. Thin and cohesive, the rind cloaks a tiny, oozing creamline atop a fluffy paste with the texture of damp clay. The mineral flavor of the rind gives way to a briny, tangy center with notes of freshly-mowed grass. Balance its earthy notes with some Rustic Bakery Meyer Lemon Shortbread cookies and a spoonful of Red Bee Honey in a Jar.
- Produced in the Loire Valley in France, Selles-sur-Cher is made with pasteurized goat’s milk.
- The milk is hand-ladled into molds, and young rounds arrive from France to age in Murray’s Caves.
- When still fresh, wheels were traditionally dusted with burned grape vine ash to help develop the molded rind.
- Today, some wheels arrive ashed, but our caves team prefers to ash the unripened wheels with vegetable ash themselves to better control the process and create a more consistent cheese.
- Though tasteless, the ash balances the acidity levels on the cheese, encouraging the mold to grow and the rind to form.
- Selles-sur-Cher was first made in the 19th century, when the unaged wheels were coated in burned grape vine clippings from Loire Valley vineyards.
- The temperate climate of the Loire Valley, often called “the garden of France,” provides excellent conditions for cheesemaking.
- Selles-sur-Cher was awarded AOC (“Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée” or “controlled designation of origin”) status in 1975 and to be named as such, it must be made in either Cher, Indre, or Loire-et-Cher in France.
- Designated “Murray’s Cave Aged”
- At Murray’s, we are cheese experts and enthusiasts who make, source, sell, and serve exceptional cheese and specialty foods nationwide.
- The Murray’s Cheese branded product line comprises deliciously distinct, time-honored products made with the finest ingredients by passionate producers across the globe.
- These products have been hand-selected by our trusted cheesemongers, who travel the world to taste countless items in search of flavors that are exceptional enough to be included in our branded product line.
- We build strong relationships with our talented production partners. They trust our team to handle the extraordinary goods they’ve worked hard to perfect, as we bring them to households across the country.
- Whether you’re looking for Gruyère from Switzerland, Brie from France, or Prosciutto di Parma from Italy, with a Murray’s branded product, you’ll receive our favorite version of a traditional product at an incredible value.
Crisp and acidic with light minerality. You may smell stone fruit, apples, pear, quince, and even some fresh herbs.
Typically bright and lemony, with clean citrus flavors. Can also have grassy and vegetal aromas—think green bell pepper.
The bright flavors of gin come from its botanicals—herbs, seeds, flowers, and spices added during production—especially peppery juniper.