View similar products
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 4-6 Months
- Cow Milk
- by Stichelton Dairy
If Stilton’s always on your cheese board, give this outstanding raw milk version a try. Handcrafted Stichelton has more spicy sweetness than its pasteurized brother. Its creaminess spreads across the palate, allowing its meatier notes to dissolve into a nutty, caramel-tinged flavor. As you approach the rind, its piquancy grows more intense. Bring substantial crunch to this creamy selection by pairing it with Raincoast Crisps Oat Crisps.
Raw Cow's Milk, Salt, Cheese Cultures, Penicillium Roqueforti, Rennet
- Stilchelton was named for the old English word for the village of Stilton, the place that first made the eponymous.
- Stichelton was created by cheesemaker Joe Schnieder in 2006 as a way to bring raw milk Stilton back to life. Before Stilton became a name-protected product, it had been made with both pasteurized and raw milk.
- In order for a cheese to be considered Stilton, it must be made with pasteurized milk, which is why a different name was given to this cheese.
- Stichelton is produced in a dairy in an old brick barn on the Welbeck Estate in Nottinghamshire, England.
- Founder Joe Schneider works with Neil’s Yard Dairy to produce the cheese, a raw-milk version of Stilton that, because of Stilton’s protected status, can’t use the Stilton name. Instead, they went with an old English word for the village of Stilton.
- They are applying for a change in the DOP to allow for the use of raw milk.
- To stay informed about what the cows are eating and what the milk is like, Joe insisted that the dairy be located on a farm.