Taste of Basque Country
In Southwestern France, where the Bay of Biscay meets the Pyrenees, lies one of the world’s most distinctive gastronomical regions. Taste of Basque Country is a gift box of unique French Basque delicacies, exemplifying centuries of culinary tradition. There’s a nutty sheep’s milk mountain cheese; an umami-packed ham from the coast; and juicy, tart confit cherries. Send this sampler to anyone with a touch of wanderlust, or serve it with Basque cider for a transporting happy hour.
In This Collection
Murray's Small Gift Box
Black Cherry Confit
Jambon De Bayonne
If one of the items in the collection is unavailable or does not meet our high quality standards, we may need to substitute an item of equal or greater value.
- This gift box is petite but packs a punch of flavor and a healthy dose of culinary history, making it perfect for those who love to explore through food.
- Basque Country is made up of seven provinces—three in France and four in Spain. The Basques are an ancient people who have inhabited these areas for thousands of years.
- French Basque Country (or Pays Basque) has a population of around 300,000 (compared to Basque Spain’s two million) and its own distinct traditions.
- Ossau-Iraty has AOC status, short for “Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée,” or controlled designation of origin. This means the cheese is certifiably produced in a specific region and made according to a set of strict regulations meant to protect the integrity and tradition of the cheese.
- Jambon de Bayonne is PGI-certified, meaning it’s strictly regulated by the Consortium du Jambon de France and is made using pork from PGI-certified pigs.
- Try these three products in any combination, and you won’t be disappointed—as we like to say, what grows together goes together.
- Transform any leftover Ossau-Iraty and Jambon de Bayonne into an out-of-this-world Croque Monsieur.
- The cherries are great for cheese pairing but are also a special addition to cocktails like Manhattans and old-fashioneds.
- To expand your Basque journey to include Spanish delicacies, add a cheese like Idiazábal or Roncal to your spread.