von Trapp Farmstead Savage
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 9-18 Months
- Cow Milk
- by von Trapp Farmstead
- United States
It may be called Savage, but this Alpine-style cheese is gentle on the palate. Made by the family-owned and operated von Trapp Farmstead in Vermont, this perfectly aged selection bursts with delicious notes of toasted caramelized onion, beef broth, pâté, and fresh New England grasses. Tease out the subtle sweetness of the organic milk and lean into the flavors of French onion soup by pairing Savage with Three Little Figs French Onion Confit.
- This cheese got its name from Samuel S. Savage, the man who settled the von Trapp Farm in the 1700s.
- An Alpine-style cheese refers to cheeses made in the same style as those from the French, Swiss, Austrian, or Italian Alps. They are usually firm in texture, nutty, and perfectly meltable.
- The von Trapps are a family that's three generations deep in dairy. Sebastian von Trapp is carrying on the tradition started by his grandparents, Erika and Werner, who started farming in Waitsfield, Vermont after arriving from Austria.
- In an effort to modernize the family business, Sebastian added an on-site creamery in 2009 to make use of the organic milk produced from Normande, Montbéliarde, and Ayrshire cows.
- von Trapp Farmstead is committed to feeding their cows a diverse diet including very little grain and letting them get lots of exercise—this results in them producing a smaller volume of milk that’s more flavorful.
- The farm also uses regenerative farming practices to improve soil health and increase biodiversity.