Mons Puff Pastry with 1924 Bleu
Recipe: Mons Puff Pastry with 1924 Bleu
Mons Puff Pastry with 1924 BleuThe quintessential hors d’oeuvre, perfected
- Prep Time : 30 min. + 6 hr. rest
- Cook Time : 20 min.
- Total Time : 6 hr 50 min.
- Serves 10
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then add the flour, whisking well to create a roux. Let roux cool.
- Create a béchamel sauce by bringing milk to a boil, then add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Whisk in 5 oz. of 1924, then add then roux, stirring consistently while bringing back to a boil. Transfer the béchamel to a baking sheet and let cool.
- Prepare the pastry dough by spreading it approximately 0.4” thick. Cut 4” diameter discs (using a cookie cutter if available). You should get a total of 20 discs. (Note that 10 should be spread a bit wider as they will be the covers for the feuilletés.)
- Poke holes with a fork on the discs that you will use for your bottoms and egg wash the sides.
- In the middle of the pastry disc, place 2 Tbsp. of béchamel and add an extra 2 tsp. of 1924.
- Cover with a second disc and press the sides together. Mark the top with a fork if desired. Spread egg wash on the top.
- Cut it again with a 4” cookie cutter to get perfect round shape.
- Let rest for at least 6 hours.
- Place tartes on a baking sheet and place in oven for 10 minutes at 350° and another 9 to 10 minutes at 320°.