This item is temporarily unavailable
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 7 Months
- Cow Milk
- by Hofkäserei Kraus
Made in the Bavarian Alps, Alp Blossom is a fragrant, flavorful, exuberant expression of its native Alpine flora. After aging, the cheese is dressed in a coat of dried herbs and colorful flowers from the surrounding meadows. A beefy, umami paste is juxtaposed with a sweet, floral rind to create a stunningly beautiful cheese. Match its sweet, savory, oniony notes by pairing with Pralus Chocolatier Tablette Papouasie Bar and Surry Farm Sliced Surryano Ham.
- Cheesemaker Albert Kraus, of the Hofkäserei Kraus dairy in the Bavarian Alps, created Alp Blossom as a celebrattion of the region’s diverse flora.
- Wheels are coated in a mix of local edible flora native to Bavaria, including marigold, lavender, rose petals, and chervil.
- The wheels are aged for seven months and coated by hand with these edible flowers and herbs to build the sweet, floral favor.
- The paste is beefy, creating a unique juxtaposition of flavors between the floral rind and savory paste.
- It’s herbaceous and creamy, with a mild funk.
- Albert Kraus launched his own small dairy, Hofkäserei Kraus, in 2008 after he interned at a large-scale cheesemaking operation.
- Kraus collects milk from his brother’s herd of Brown Swiss cows and uses it as the canvas for his uniquely terroir-inspired cheeses.
- Kraus produces a number of cheeses, including Alex, Alp Blossom, Alpengouda, and Rampe Kase.
- In 2018, Kraus expanded his dairy and built a new production facility across the border in the Bavaria region of Germany.