This item is temporarily unavailable
- Thistle Rennet
- Age: 2 months
- Sheep Milk
Amanteigado Grande is a bold and spoonable Portuguese sheep’s milk cheese made with thistle rennet. It has a firm rind and rich, creamy paste with a consistency similar to pudding that makes for easy dipping. Its profile is tart and savory with flavors reminiscent of rustic salami and briny saltwater. Bring out the meaty notes of this unique cheese with Murray’s Calabrese Salami and Rustic Bakery Olive Oil & Sel Gris Flatbread for dipping.
- Amanteigado is a sheep’s milk thistle-rennet cheese from the Beira Alta province in northeastern Portugal.
- “Amanteigado” means “buttery” in Portuguese.
- Portugal is famous for its thistle rennet cheeses, deriving this rennet from the cardoon thistle, which is related to the artichoke.
- Thistle rennet cheeses were the world’s first completely vegetarian cheeses and have a distinctly tangy or sour flavor unique to this type of coagulation.
- Traditionally a tea is made with the thistle flowers and added to the milk which then coagulates the milk.
- Amanteigado is gooey and creamy on the inside, with a firm rind creating the perfect bowl to encase the cheese. To enjoy, simply carve a hole in the top, and dip into the soft cheese encased inside.