Meadow Creek Dairy Grayson
This item is temporarily unavailable
View similar products
Meadow Creek Dairy Grayson
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 2-4 Months
- Cow Milk
- by Meadow Creek Dairy
- United States
Made from raw Jersey cow’s milk, the hand-crafted Meadow Creek Dairy Grayson is a cheese that changes with the seasons. Whereas early season spring cheeses are firmer and milder, late fall and early winter cheese are runny and funky. Expect a spectrum of grassy, earthy flavors within its golden yellow paste, and a bright orange rind whose pungent aroma is intensely beefy and oniony. Complement the bold flavor with a porter or stout and serve alongside some Three Little Figs French Onion Confit and Trois Petits Cochons Cornichons.
Cultured Raw Cow's Milk, Salt, Rennet
- The award-winning Grayson is the crown jewel of the Feete family’s Meadow Creek Dairy farm in southwest Virginia.
- During a trip to Ireland in 2000, the Feete family took a liking to the washed-rind cheeses native to County Cork, and thus found their inspiration for Grayson.
- A visit with Jeffa Gill, the cheesemaker behind Ireland’s Durrus Cheese, first piqued their interest.
- A subsequent trip to Italy, and small batch Taleggio cemented their love for washed rind cheeses.
- From there, they set out to make their own interpretation of a square-shaped cheese; namely, Taleggio-style Grayson.
- Using raw milk from their 80-head herd of Jersey cows, the Feete family crafts a cheese with a silky, golden paste that draws its richness from their grass-fed milk.
- Notes of beef and onion are rounded out by a subtle underpinning of malty brown ale.
- The cheese is only in production for nine months out of the year.
- The seasonal production schedule allows the herd to graze on fresh, native grasses and legumes without confinement.
When you receive your cheese, unpack the order and refrigerate the items. We recommend using the cheese paper we send most of our products in to store the cheese. The cheese paper helps cover the items and stop them from drying out, while also allowing the cheese to breathe. Since cheese is mold, it's a living thing! If you cut off air circulation to the cheese, you can actually cause it to suffocate and spoil at a faster rate.
- Located in the mountains of Southwest Virginia, Meadow Creek Dairy prides itself on being one of few producers who follows a true seasonal production schedule.
- The Feete family (the farm’s owners) makes their hand-crafted artisan cheese from March to December.
- Christmas Eve marks the end of the season, and the herd rests during the winter months.
- The cattle are never confined, grazing on native grasses and legumes, supplemented with some grains, salt, and Norwegian kelp.
- Meadow Creek practices year-round rotational grazing, and the herd is moved from grazed pastures to fresh ones to allow the grass to regrow.
- The grass is free of herbicides and pesticides, and their grazing methods promoted sustainability and health both for their lands and their animals.
Aromas of ripe peaches and tropical fruit dominate, along with floral, perfumed accents.
Basque and Normandy Cider
Barnyardy, funky, and still, with a hint of sweetness.
1 / 2