Meadow Creek Extra-Aged Appalachian
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 8 Months
- Cow Milk
- by Meadow Creek Dairy
- United States
This special extra aged version of Meadow Creek’s beloved Appalachian cheese is a velvety surprise. Held in their Virginia-based cellars for more than eight months, this firm, lush selection takes on notes of fruit and toasted butter, along with an earthiness reminiscent of Meadow Creek’s aging cellar. Murray’s light and crispy Sea Salt Crackers are a crunchy vehicle for this delicious aged masterpiece.
- The cow breeds that produce the milk used to make Extra-Aged Appalachian are Normande, Tarentaise, and Jersey.
- This aged version is a spin on Meadow Creek Dairy’s very first cheese, Appalachian, which was made to showcase the flavors of the milk produced by their cows that grazed on the mountainous terrain.
- Regular Appalachian is aged only three months. The extra five months give the cheese more time to develop its layers of flavors.
- Located in the mountains of Southwest Virginia, Meadow Creek Dairy prides itself on being one of few producers who follows a true seasonal production schedule.
- The Feete family (the farm’s owners) makes their hand-crafted artisan cheese from March to December.
- Christmas Eve marks the end of the season, and the herd rests during the winter months.
- The cattle are never confined, grazing on native grasses and legumes, supplemented with some grains, salt, and Norwegian kelp.
- Meadow Creek practices year-round rotational grazing, and the herd is moved from grazed pastures to fresh ones to allow the grass to regrow.
- The grass is free of herbicides and pesticides, and their grazing methods promoted sustainability and health both for their lands and their animals.