Murray's 1 Year Manchego
This item is temporarily unavailable
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 12 Months
- Sheep Milk
- by Murray's Cheese
Murray’s 1 Year Manchego is an authentic embodiment of a traditional Spanish sheep’s milk cheese. It’s slightly granular, packed with notes of almonds and caramel. Crafted in the traditional Spanish style using 100% Manchega sheep’s milk, its rind bears the classic, cross-hatch pattern that connotes the braided grass baskets that once held the cheese. Firm and nutty, this Manchego pairs well with a slice of Murray’s Membrillo and a handful of Marcona almonds.
- Manchego cheese has been made in Spain since the Bronze Age, and was even referenced Miguel de Cervantes’ literary classic, Don Quixote.
- The cheese is made using milk from Manchega sheep, a breed that’s native to the Iberian Peninsula.
- It’s a seasonal milk, gathered only during April, May, and June, when ewes graze across the pastures of Spain’s La Mancha Region.
- The sheep are notorious for providing small quantities of milk. In the case of Manchego, each ewe averages just 26 gallons of milk per year.
- The nutty, granular paste is encased in a rind that’s distinct in its cross-hatch pattern.
- Traditionally, the curds were pressed into braided esparto grass baskets, leaving the distinct, cross-hatch design, known as pleita, on the rind.
- Today, the cheese is shaped in a mold that imparts this pattern as a nod to its historical production methods.
- In 1984, Manchego earned Denominación de Origen (or "DO," meaning designation of origin) status to protect its integrity and tradition.
- For a cheese to be classified as Manchego, it must be made exclusively from the whole milk of Manchega ewes, it must come from La Mancha, and it must be aged in natural caves for at least two months.
- This Manchego spends 12 months maturing, taking on a firm texture and full-flavor free of the waxy paste and gamy notes that can sometimes plague older versions of the cheese.
- At Murray’s, we are cheese experts and enthusiasts who make, source, sell, and serve exceptional cheese and specialty foods nationwide.
- The Murray’s Cheese branded product line comprises deliciously distinct, time-honored products made with the finest ingredients by passionate producers across the globe.
- These products have been hand-selected by our trusted cheesemongers, who travel the world to taste countless items in search of flavors that are exceptional enough to be included in our branded product line.
- We build strong relationships with our talented production partners. They trust our team to handle the extraordinary goods they’ve worked hard to perfect, as we bring them to households across the country.
- Whether you’re looking for Gruyère from Switzerland, Brie from France, or Prosciutto di Parma from Italy, with a Murray’s branded product, you’ll receive our favorite version of a traditional product at an incredible value.
More sugary, with jam-like fruit, dried cherries, oak, and spice.
Medium-bodied with flavors of cherry and cranberry, plus bright acidity. Cinnamon and clove spices and an earthy, leathery dimension add balance