Murray’s Cave Aged Reserve Mistoa
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 3 Months
- Sheep Milk
- by Murray's Cheese Caves
We created Murray’s Cavemaster Reserve Mistoa by taking inspiration from the famous Basque cheese Ossau Iraty. The process involves the sheep’s milk used for Ossau Iraty with an infusion of tangy goat’s milk to create an original cheese that has a supple paste and sweet, grassy profile with notes of cooked milk and broccoli. Mild and snackable, Mistoa makes a natural pairing with Spanish-style meats like Charlito’s Cocina Cerveza Seca or Olympia Provisions Chorizo.
- Murray’s Cavemaster Reserve Mistoa is made in the same fashion as Ossau-Iraty.
- Mistoa uses a combination of sheep and goat milk from the Basque region of southwestern France. The sheep milk comes from the same heritage breeds as used in making Ossau-Iraty. Produced by Fromagerie Agour, Mistoa reflects the history of the region with a modern twist.
- The green, unaged cheese comes to us from the Bayonne Arrondissement in the Pyrenees-Atlantique. It is aged for a little over three months in our caves, where our affineurs attend to the rind weekly – patting, rubbing, brushing and flipping the slowly aging rounds. The resulting rind is dappled with a variety of subtle greys and russet reds that contribute to the development of the smooth, sweet paste. Once released the cheese balances an earthy bite with a buttery finish. The brief aging period yields an approachable cheese that works as both a table cheese and culinary melter.
- At Murray’s Cheese Caves in Queens, New York, our experts age and mature cheeses to perfection, creating unique products that are exclusive to Murray’s.
- We built our caves to enhance the quality of our products, as well as to honor the craft of cheesemakers across the globe. The practice of aging cheese, known in French as affinage, was relatively rare in the United States when we built our first set of caves in 2004.
- The cheeses that mature in our caves are crafted in a variety of ways, which are reflected on their labels, described below.
- Cave Aged Original cheeses are produced from a Murray’s original recipe—we have a hand in every step of the cheesemaking process.
- Cave Aged Reserve cheeses are made in collaboration with some of our favorite cheesemakers. They send us unaged wheels, and we use unique aging techniques to produce something completely new.
- Cave Aged Limited cheeses are born out of our constant innovation and experimentation, only available for a limited time.
- Cheeses in the Cave Aged category are aged in our caves with methods that replicate the treatment they would’ve received from their original producer. This category is largely populated by bloomy rind cheeses that don’t fare well in transport.
- Murray's operates four caves, designed to ensure that each cheese matures in its ideal environment—the Bloomy Rind Cave, Natural Rind Cave, Washed Rind Cave, and Alpine Cave.
- The temperature, humidity, and microbial activity in each cave are controlled and monitored with the greatest precision.