Murray's Parmigiano Reggiano Grated
This item is temporarily unavailable
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 24 Months
- Cow Milk
- by Murray's Cheese
Parmigiano Reggiano is the king of Italian cheeses, and Murray’s grated version embodies everything we love about this classic cheese. It’s nutty and robust, with a hint of caramel sweetness. Crafted into massive wheels using time-honored techniques and strict regulations, traditional Parmigiano Reggiano is delicately crumbly, with crunchy tyrosine crystals, notes of roasted cashews, and fruity undertones that speak to strawberry and stone fruit. Enjoy this grated Italian staple sprinkled over Rustichella Pasta Orecchiette with 1932 Arrabiata Sauce.
- Murray’s Parmigiano Reggiano is a P.D.O—protected designation of origin—or “name-protected” cheese, which means its production is highly regulated.
- It must be made using raw cow’s milk from the provinces of Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, Bologna, and Mantova in the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy.
- Whole milk collected from the morning milking is combined with the previous evening’s skimmed milk to create the wheels.
- The milk must be processed within a day after collection.
- The cheese wheels sit in a brine bath for 20 to 25 hours before they are transferred to an aging facility.
- They will age anywhere from 12 to 30 months.
- The wheels are inspected carefully at 12 months to ensure they meet the requirements to be sold as Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Everything from the diameter of the wheel to the thickness of the rind to the color, texture, and flavor of the paste are held to high standards.
- Wheels are stamped with the number of the farm where they were produced to ensure they are traceable even once they head to market.
- With a savory depth and notes of toasted nuts and caramel sweetness, Parmigiano Reggiano has been a staple of Italian cuisine since the 1300s.
- Wheels are so valuable; they are rumored to have been used as currency and are even targets of heists and theft.
- At Murray’s, we are cheese experts and enthusiasts who make, source, sell, and serve exceptional cheese and specialty foods nationwide.
- The Murray’s Cheese branded product line comprises deliciously distinct, time-honored products made with the finest ingredients by passionate producers across the globe.
- These products have been hand-selected by our trusted cheesemongers, who travel the world to taste countless items in search of flavors that are exceptional enough to be included in our branded product line.
- We build strong relationships with our talented production partners. They trust our team to handle the extraordinary goods they’ve worked hard to perfect, as we bring them to households across the country.
- Whether you’re looking for Gruyère from Switzerland, Brie from France, or Prosciutto di Parma from Italy, with a Murray’s branded product, you’ll receive our favorite version of a traditional product at an incredible value.