Nettle Meadow Kunik
View similar products
Nettle Meadow Kunik
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 3-6 Weeks
- Cow Milk
- Goat Milk
- by Nettle Meadow Farm
- United States
Goat’s milk is combined with Jersey cow’s cream in this savory round of rich triple-crème cheese. Up in the Adirondacks, Nettle Meadow’s goats feast on a diverse array of grasses and wild herbs, producing high-quality, flavorful milk. Fresh cream from nearby Jersey cows is added to the goat’s milk to amp up the butterfat content. The result is Kunik, a decadently rich cheese with notes of lemon zest and button mushrooms. Slice it like fudge, and pair it with some McClure's Garlic Dill Pickles and a sparkling, fruity rosé.
Goat's Milk, Cream, Salt, Rennet, Cultures
- Nettle Meadow Cheesemaker Sheila Flanagan creates this triple crème from a mix of goat’s milk and Jersey cow’s cream. * Flanagan’s goats spend their days snacking on fresh grasses and wild herbs found throughout the farm. * The resulting goat’s milk is complex and perfect for cheesemaking. * Kunik’s soft paste is decadent, buttery, and mushroomy—reminiscent of a savory cheesecake with just a hint of lemon zest * The cheese’s robust flavor won it 2nd place in the 2019 Cheese Championships and a Good Food Award in 2018.
- Founded in 1990 by Lorraine Lambiase and Shelia Flanagan, New York’s Nettle Meadow farm is also an animal sanctuary that houses a menagerie of llamas, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks, pigs, turkeys, cats, and rabbits.
- Lorraine and Sheila both left legal careers to move closer to home and realize their dream of living on a farm, surrounded by animals.
- Cheesemaker Sheila Flanagan transforms the farm's fresh goat and sheep milk to craft innovative, artisan cheeses.
- Sheep and goats are fed a diet of natural ingredients, including grasses, hay, grains, wild herbs, raspberry leaf, and garlic to balance their nutritional needs.
- A herd of working goats roams over 100 acres at a separate pasture close to Amsterdam, New York.
- The animals are at the heart of the operation, their website features the pictures and names of many of their goats along with a description of their personalities.