Point Reyes Toma
- Vegetarian Rennet
- Age: 3 Months
- Cow Milk
- by Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co.
- United States
Meet your anytime, anywhere cheese. Toma—made by Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co.—was modeled after classic Italian table cheeses like fontina and provolone. Mild with sweet and nutty notes, firm yet supple. As satisfying on a cheese board as it is as an everyday snack. Cut into triangles, add Murray’s Rosemary Marcona Almonds and Jumbo Medjool Dates, and you have the perfect savory-sweet spread.
- “Toma” in Italian refers to the round shape of a cheese. Toma is usually a rustic cheese, put out on the table as part of the meal for everyone to cut off into chunks
- Toma also melts beautifully. Try melting a generous layer of this mild cheese on Rustichella Penne with 1932 Pomodorina Basil Sauce.
- Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company originally began as a dairy farm in 1959 before shifting to cheesemaking full-time in 2000.
- Based 40 miles north of San Francisco, Point Reyes uses environmentally conscious production methods in their operations.
- The farmstead harvests methane-powered renewable energy, conserves water through reuse and recycle programs, manages their pastures with acute erosion-control methods, and reduces greenhouse gas emissions with practices that maximize carbon sequestration.
- A second creamery was opened in 2018 to meet increasing demand.
- Pasteurized cheeses like Toma, Bay Blue, and Gouda are produced at this Petaluma location from locally-sourced milk.
- The raw-milk Original Blue continues to be made at the Point Reyes farmstead.