Rustic Bakery Chocolate Cacao Nib Shortbread
This item is temporarily unavailable
- by Rustic Bakery
- United States
A cookie made for dark chocolate lovers, Rustic Bakery Chocolate Cacao Nib Shortbread blend Valrhona cacao nibs and fleur de sel into a classic shortbread biscuit to make rich, flaky treat. They’re an easy dessert to snack on alone, or try pairing them with some Bijou, Amarena Cherries, and a drizzle of Fat Toad Caramel for a next-level sweet bite.
Allergens: Milk, Wheat
- The trick to a good shortbread is balancing the butter, sugar, and flour—and Rustic Bakery does just that.
- The Chocolate Cacao Nib Shortbread uses Valrhoana cacao nibs and cocoa powder to double the chocolatey flavor.
- Cacao nibs are small pieces of crushed cacao (cocoa beans). Though they can be bitter on their own, they lend a rich chocolate flavor to the cookie.
- A Scottish treat, shortbread has a centuries-long history—some records even date it back to the 12th century.
- Mary Queen of Scots is credited with refining the recipe in the 1500s, and the first printed recipe for the cookie dates back to 1736.
- Shortbread was once considered a delicacy due to its high butter and sugar content and was reserved for Christmas and Hogmanay (Scotland’s New Year’s Eve celebration).
- Rustic Bakery was founded by Carol LeValley and Josh Harris in 2005.
- After the couple received an order for 50 cases of their homemade sourdough flatbread crackers from Cowgirl Creamery, a San Francisco-based artisanal cheese producer, they quickly settled into a commercial kitchen space near their Navato home and launched their company.
- LeValley and Harris shared their flatbread crackers the following January at San Francisco’s Fancy Food Show, and quickly caught the attention of industry insiders. Not long after, the brand went national.
- Today, Rustic Bakery is best known for their simple, flavorful crackers and shortbreads that pair beautifully with a wide variety of cheeses