Cherry Point Tart Gjetost Caramel with Preserved Walnuts
Recipe: Cherry Point Tart Gjetost Caramel with Preserved Walnuts
Cherry Point Tart with Gjetost CaramelYour New Go-To Dinner Party Dessert
- Prep Time : 15 min.
- Cook Time : 20 min.
- Total Time : 2 hr. 30 min.
- Serves 8-10
- FOR TART SHELL
- 1 tart shell
- 2 sticks butter, diced and chilled
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp cold water
- pinch of salt
- For the Crust: In a blender or mixer, add the flour, salt, and sugar and mix until incorporated. Add the chilled butter and blend until the texture of wet sand.
- Add the eggs one at a time, blending until the mixture comes together. Stop blending once mixture is bound. If it is still crumbly, add iced water to bring together. Let dough rest in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a heavily-floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick. Lay carefully into a greased 11 inch tart pan and press into corners. Cut off excess dough, leaving 1/3 inch overhang. Chill in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Remove the tart shell from the freezer, patching any thin parts or cracks with excess dough. Line the tart shell with foil and fill it with spare dry beans or rice, then bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are beginning to brown.
- Remove the tart from oven and take out the foil and rice or beans. Return the shell to oven for an additional 15-20 minutes, until completely golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
- For the Gjetost Caramel: In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the cream and the sugar, until skalding. Add Gjetost and fold the mixture until smooth. Pour mixture into the room temperature tart shell and let it set by chilling in fridge for 45 minutes.
- Remove half of the walnuts from the jar. Separately, remove half of the liquid. Heat the liquid over medium-low flame and add the bloomed gelatin, keeping mixture warm but not bubbling.
- Slice the walnuts very thin, using a mandolin if available. Arrange the walnuts on top of the Gjetost-filled tart, then spoon the warm walnut liquid over the top, fully covering with a thin layer. Chill again for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Slice the tart and serve with fresh whipped cream.