Arethusa Dairy Sour Cream
- Animal Rennet
- Cow Milk
- by Arethusa Farm Dairy
- United States
Based in Connecticut, Arethusa Farms has been making premium Old World-inspired dairy from their fresh milk for more than 20 years. You can taste it when you sample their cool, classic sour cream. Its flavor is bright with the perfect amount of tang. Try it in a sour cream pound cake, make it the finishing touch on a baked potato, or add a dollop on nachos draped with melted Maple Leaf Pepper Jack cheese.
- Arethusa owners, George Malkemus and Anthony Yurgaitis, weren’t always farmers. They started their career as fashion executives for Manolo Blahnik.
- They began their own dairy herd with five pure-bred Holsteins.
- Arethusa now partners with local Connecticut family farms to add to their milk supply for the dairy.
- After conquering the fashion world in the 1990s, Manolo Blahnik executives George Malkemus and Anthony Yurgaitis were in search of a reprieve from New York City.
- In 1999, they purchased Arethusa Farm, a picturesque dairy farm in Connecticut.
- During Arethusa’s earliest days, just five cows roamed its hilly pastures, but the herd has expanded over the years.
- In 2009, Malkemus and Yurgaitis began bottling and selling milk to local stores. In 2011, they added cheese to the mix.
- Today, their full product line also includes yogurt, ice cream, butter, and sour cream, and all of their products are made from their herd of over 300 cows.