Murray's Cave Aged Reserve Hudson Flower
- Microbial Rennet
- Age: 1-6 Days
- Sheep Milk
- by Murray's Cheese Caves
- United States
A modern take on classic Corsican Fleur du Maquis, the decadent Murray’s Cave Aged Reserve Hudson Flower won first place in its category at the 2019 American Cheese Society competition. Rich, creamy wheels of sheep’s milk cheese are encased in a blend of rosemary, lemon thyme, chervil, and hop flowers to create a unique and layered sensory experience. It’s piney and floral, rich and earthy -- best enjoyed with a drizzle of Murray’s Wildflower Honey.
- From Murray’s Cave Aged Reserve line, Hudson Flower is an award-winning cheese – an exclusive collaboration between Old Chatham Creamery and Murray’s Cheese.
- The production process begins with Kinderhook Creek, one of Old Chatham’s signature sheep’s milk cheeses.
- It arrives at Murray’s Bloomy Rind Cave with no visible rind, and affineurs quickly coat the young cheese wheel with a blend of rosemary, lemon thyme, chervil, and hop flowers.
- Rich, creamy, and herbaceous— it is an extraordinary interpretation of a European classic.
- Hudson Flower won best in its category at the American Cheese Society conference in 2017 & 2019
- At Murray’s Cheese Caves in Queens, New York, our experts age and mature cheeses to perfection, creating unique products that are exclusive to Murray’s.
- We built our caves to enhance the quality of our products, as well as to honor the craft of cheesemakers across the globe. The practice of aging cheese, known in French as affinage, was relatively rare in the United States when we built our first set of caves in 2004.
- The cheeses that mature in our caves are crafted in a variety of ways, which are reflected on their labels, described below.
- Cave Aged Original cheeses are produced from a Murray’s original recipe—we have a hand in every step of the cheesemaking process.
- Cave Aged Reserve cheeses are made in collaboration with some of our favorite cheesemakers. They send us unaged wheels, and we use unique aging techniques to produce something completely new.
- Cave Aged Limited cheeses are born out of our constant innovation and experimentation, only available for a limited time.
- Cheeses in the Cave Aged category are aged in our caves with methods that replicate the treatment they would’ve received from their original producer. This category is largely populated by bloomy rind cheeses that don’t fare well in transport.
- Murray's operates four caves, designed to ensure that each cheese matures in its ideal environment—the Bloomy Rind Cave, Natural Rind Cave, Washed Rind Cave, and Alpine Cave.
- The temperature, humidity, and microbial activity in each cave are controlled and monitored with the greatest precision.
Chianti is named for a region in Italy and is made from a blend of grapes, mostly sangiovese. This dry, medium-bodied wine has a distinct herbal quality—think rosemary and oregano—with flavors of dried plums and cherries.