Murray’s Classic Cheesy French Onion Soup
Recipe: Murray’s Classic Cheesy French Onion Soup
Murray’s Classic Cheesy French Onion SoupTopped with a bubbly brown blanket of cheese, this rich soup is the perfect winter warmer
- Prep Time : 15 min.
- Cook Time : 1 hr. 45 min.
- Total Time : 2 hr.
- Serves: 8
- Start by caramelizing the onions. Add the onions to a large pan with the salt, sugar, butter, and herbs.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until dark brown. This should take at least 50 minutes.
- Once caramelized, remove the herbs. Add the flour and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the sherry and white wine and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add the beef stock and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer over medium heat until the flavors have combined, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the baguette diagonally and toast on a sheet tray in a 350F oven until dry, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Once the soup has finished simmering, portion into small soup bowls or ramekins and transfer the bowls to a parchment lined sheet tray.
- Top the soup with the baguette slices, then with the cheese. Carefully place the cheese covered soup under a broiler and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and browned. Let cool slightly and enjoy.