Poached Eggs with Comte Mornay
Poached Eggs With Comte MornayA veggie vehicle for some melted delight
We’re introducing you to Eggs Benedict’s decadent cousin--our Poached Eggs with Comte Mornay take breakfast to the next level with a sauce made from one of the most beloved, snackable cheeses out there. Comte, from France’s Jura region, is widely considered to be one of the world’s greatest cheeses. Nutty and sweet, with delectable tyrosine crystals, it’s bursting with notes of milky browned butter and stone fruit. We’ve melted down this crowd-pleasing classic into a rich béchamel sauce to top off perfectly poached eggs on a bed of spinach and toasted English muffins.
Poached Eggs With Comte MornayA delicate breakfast dish featuring a comte béchamel sauce.
- Prep Time : 25 min.
- Cook Time : 25 min.
- Total Time : 50 min.
- Serves 4
- Begin by making the comte mornay. Pour the milk into a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add the bay leaf, shallot, and garlic. Bring to a simmer, then strain the milk into a bowl.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and add the grated garlic. Slowly add the flour, whisking to combine, and cook for 2 minutes to make the roux. Ladle in the warm milk, whisking constantly, to combine with roux and mix until smooth.
- Turn off the heat and add the grated comte then set aside.
- Next, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add four of the eggs and cook for 6-7 minutes. Once cooked, pour out the hot water and run cold water over the eggs to stop the cooking process. Once cool, peel the eggs and hold under running water to remove all of the shell.
- Meanwhile, sauté the spinach. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach, grated garlic, and one teaspoon of salt. Cook until the spinach has wilted, about 3 minutes. Set the spinach aside on a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm. Split each English muffin and toast.
- To assemble the dish, place the spinach on one side of the english muffin then add a spoonful of the warm comte mornay. Add the slow poached eggs on top to finish. Lean the other side of the english muffin onto the egg. Garnish with the cut chives.