Calabro Cheese Ricotta Di Bufala 1.5Lbs
This item is temporarily unavailable
- Microbial Rennet
- Age: Fresh
- Buffalo Milk
- by Calabro Cheese
- United States
This succulent ricotta owes its intensely creamy consistency to its main ingredients—water buffalo’s milk and whey from mozzarella di bufala. Made with patience, the cream is cooked slowly, allowing the curds to firm up at their own pace. The result is a texture similar to clotted cream with an aroma reminiscent of sourdough bread slathered with butter. It’s smooth on the palate, with bittersweet notes of citrus, caramel, and cooked milk. Add a dollop on Rustic Bakery Vanilla Bean Shortbread for a truly indulgent treat.
- This buffalo’s milk ricotta has double the fat content of ricotta made from cow’s milk. It’s also typically sweeter.
- Ricotta di Bufala can be used in stuffed pastas like ravioli or stuffed shells. For sweeter applications, this cheese works well as the base for cannoli cream.
While harder cheeses can stay fresh for up to two to three weeks when wrapped tightly and unopened, fresh style cheeses are best consumed within a few days. The best thing to do is to keep the cheese in one of your refrigerator drawers or the vegetable bin; this will help to keep your cheese from drying out. If your cheese is packed in olive oil or brine, store any leftovers in the liquid and follow package instructions. All cheeses and meats are perishables—by definition they degrade over time—so we encourage our customers to enjoy the cheese while it's in peak condition!
- After migrating to the United States in 1948, Joseph Calabro and his father Salvatore produced their first cheese in 1953, and Calabro Cheese was born.
- The family made a name for itself delivering specialty cheeses to families and mom and pop grocers across Connecticut.
- To meet a growing demand, Calabro Cheese acquired the Wells River Creamery in Wells River, Vermont, in 1961.
- By 1981, sales were at an all-time high, and Calabro shifted operations to their current East Haven production and distribution center.