View similar products
- Microbial Rennet
- Age: 30 Days
- Goat Milk
Washed rind cheeses made with goat’s milk are a special treat, and Capriolina is an exemplary Italian version. The bright-white interior is silky and buttery, with just enough tang to balance the richness. More mature versions of these petite wheels will be extra luscious, oozy, and intense; but either way, you can expect some delightful funk when you reach the orange rind. It’s unique but crowd-pleasing, a star player on a board with Raincoast Fig & Olive Crisps and Mitica® Fig Almond Cake.
Pasteurized Goat's Milk, Salt, Rennet
- Capriolina is made the Val Taleggio in Northern Italy, a mountainous region that’s the namesake of the classic washed rind cow’s milk cheese.
- The exact process of washing these small goat’s milk wheels is a family secret, but the result is a tasty orange rind and pronounced aroma.
- Younger wheels of Capriolina will be buttery and semi-soft yet substantial, but this cheese will become oozier and funkier with age (although it does remain an approachable choice for a washed rind).
- A clean, mild goat’s milk tang is detectable no matter how old your wheel, but the flavors lean more funky washed rind than lactic goat.
- Goat’s milk has around the same fat content as cow’s milk, but because of a difference in fat structure, goat cheese often feels lighter on the palate. So, while this cheese is luscious and creamy, it’s not overwhelmingly rich.