This item is temporarily unavailable
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 14 Days
- Cow Milk
Hailing from the Champagne region of France, Langres was made to be enjoyed with the area’s eponymous drink. The top of the cheese is concave, creating a perfect divot to fill with champagne. The bubbly texture of the champagne balances out the salty, fudgy richness of the cheese and enhances the yeasty, velvety brioche flavor. Be sure to carve an “X” at the top of the wheel to let the champagne permeate the entire round of cheese.Then enjoy it with some Jambon De Bayonne and Rustic Bakery Apricot, Pistachio, and Brandy Crisps.
- Langres comes from the Champagne region of France and was created to be enjoyed with the area’s eponymous drink.
- During the aging process, the smallround, made from pasteurized cow’s milk, is washed with brine and rubbed with annatto, a natural orange-red dye derived from a tropical tree.
- The wheel is not flipped as it matures, and the weight from the top of the cheese creates its signature concave form.
- Cheesemakers have been producing Langres since the 18th century.
- It was awarded AOC designation in 1991.
- AOC is short for the French “Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée,” translating to “controlled designation of origin.”
- Just two cheesemakers in France still produce a raw cow’s milk version of the cheese; only the pasteurized version is available in the United States.
Lighter bodied and delicate. Old World style generally offers more funk and New World more fruit
Champagne, cava, prosecco…anything with bubbles!