This item is temporarily unavailable
- by Murray's Cheese
Murray’s Membrillo is made from the quince fruit, hence why it’s also known as quince paste. Raw quince is too sour to eat, but when cooked down and combined with sugar and lemon juice, it creates a sweet, tangy paste that naturally thickens due to quince’s high pectin content. Membrillo has roots in the Middle East and was eventually brought to western Europe during the Roman Empire. Murray’s Membrillo hails from Malaga, Spain and adds some punchy sweetness to Murray's 1 Year Manchego and Fermin Chorizo Iberico.
- Murray’s Membrillo is made from the quince fruit, and is also known as quince paste.
- Quince falls in the same family as pears and apples, but it’s basically inedible when raw because it is so sour.
- Quince has a high pectin content, and forms a thick paste when cooked down.
- Its flesh is white when raw, but turns a beautiful maroon when cooked.
- The fruit is combined with lemon juice and sugar or honey during the cooking process to balance out its sour flavor.
- Quince paste has roots in the Middle East and was eventually brought west by the Roman empire.
- The first record of English marmalade was made using quince fruit.
- In fact, the word “marmalade” stems from the Portuguese word for quince fruit: marmelo.
- The producer behind Murray’s Membrillo has made the paste since 1912.
- It can be enjoyed with almost any cheese, but its commonly paired with Manchego.
- At Murray’s, we are cheese experts and enthusiasts who make, source, sell, and serve exceptional cheese and specialty foods nationwide.
- The Murray’s Cheese branded product line comprises deliciously distinct, time-honored products made with the finest ingredients by passionate producers across the globe.
- These products have been hand-selected by our trusted cheesemongers, who travel the world to taste countless items in search of flavors that are exceptional enough to be included in our branded product line.
- We build strong relationships with our talented production partners. They trust our team to handle the extraordinary goods they’ve worked hard to perfect, as we bring them to households across the country.
- Whether you’re looking for Gruyère from Switzerland, Brie from France, or Prosciutto di Parma from Italy, with a Murray’s branded product, you’ll receive our favorite version of a traditional product at an incredible value.