Perrystead Dairy The Real Philly Schmear
- Animal Rennet
- Age: Fresh
- Cow Milk
- by Perrystead Dairy
- United States
The Real Philly Schmear isn’t cream cheese. It’s what you wish cream cheese could be. Made with whole milk instead of cream, this cultured spread is light and airy yet substantial, with an irresistible tang. That’s thanks to Perrystead Dairy’s commitment to innovative, small-batch cheesemaking. Follow your instincts and serve with Z Crackers Everything Good and Fishwife salmon. Or get a little playful with your next pasta filling, sandwich, or any dish where you crave a creamy, zippy little dollop.
- Perrystead describes The Real Philly Schmear as a middle ground between rich American cream cheese and tangy French fromage blanc.
- It’s crafted with whole milk, which gets slow-cultured and drained, resulting in that light texture and complex lactic bite.
- Made with just cultured milk, enzymes, and salt, this cheese lets the true flavor of the high-quality milk shine through.
- There’s no better choice for spreading on a bagel. But when our staff first tried The Real Philly Schmear, we were blown away by its versatility.
- So, don’t be afraid to take our staff’s suggestions: spread it on a sandwich. Stuff it into ravioli. Serve alongside fresh spring or roasted winter veggies.
- Or grab a bag of potato chips and start dipping.
- Perrystead Dairy is an urban micro-creamery based in Philadelphia with a focus on innovative, artisanal products.
- It was started by Yoav Perry, who brings more than a decade of cheese experience to the business, with a strong knowledge of enzymes, bacterial cultures, and aging methods.
- Rather than make versions of well-known cheeses, Yoav is committed to creating all-new, original American cheeses using traditional techniques.
- Perrystead crafts their cheeses with milk from small Pennsylvania family farms, specifically those that let their animals roam free to feed on grasses and practice regenerative land management.