- Animal Rennet
- Age: 5-7 Weeks
- Cow Milk
Crafted in Germany, in the foothills of the Alps, Red Casanova is an ultra-creamy washed rind that will win over even the funk-averse. The addition of cream to cow’s milk ups the butterfat, providing richness that counteracts the slight funk of the dark orange rind. Notes of beef, onion, and bread dough—complex and savory but not overpowering—infuse every buttery bite. Enjoy the best that Germany has to offer by serving this beside Alp Blossom, Champignon Cambozola Black Label, and a crisp ale.
- Red Casanova is made by Kaserei Wiggensbach, a union of local farms in Bavaria, Germany, that wanted to showcase their milk through cheesemaking.
- This cheese starts with that organic, grass-fed cow’s milk, as well as a healthy addition of cream, leading to a butterfat content that’s close to triple crème.
- A regular wash in brine helps develop that sticky orange rind, a hallmark of washed rind cheeses.
- While washed rinds are known for being stinky, Red Casanova is on the milder end of the spectrum, as the higher fat content helps mellow out the funk.
- Five to seven weeks of aging results in a luscious semi-firm paste studded with a few small holes. If left at room temperature, this cheese is melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
- The notes of garlic, onion, and beef found in Red Casanova evoke the flavors of the classic firm Alpine cheeses produced in the area.