Murray's Cave Aged Gruyère
This item is temporarily unavailable
View similar products
Murray's Cave Aged Gruyère
- Animal Rennet
- Age: 10 Months
- Cow Milk
- by Murray's Cheese
Firm, assertive, and nutty, this classic Cave-Aged Gruyère has a supple texture and a sweet aroma of hazelnut and brown butter due to the diverse diet of mountain grasses the cows graze. With a paste that melts easily and a depth of flavor that has undertones of stone fruit and savory, beefy notes, this Alpine cheese is perfect for adding dimension to a classic grilled cheese - especially when paired with crunchy cornichons and French Onion Confit.
Unpasteurized Cow's Milk, Salt, Enzymes
- Cheesemaking history in Gruyères, Switzerland, dates back to the 12th century. The 1992 Charter of Gruyère distinguished the Swiss cantons (regions) of Fribourg and Berne as official producers of Gruyère cheese.
- Gruyère is protected by AOP designation (Appellation d'Origine Protégée), and is made according to strict regulations that protect its quality and historical significance. For example, to this day, Gruyere must be made in traditional copper vats, prized for their antimicrobial properties and the flavors they impart to the cheese.
- We source our Gruyère from a single dairy we identified as the best Gruyère maker in Switzerland, after extensive vetting and taste testing. This single sourcing ensures consistent quality and flavor in each batch. After a brief respite in on-site cellars at the creamery, Murray’s Gruyère is aged in an affinage facility built directly into sandstone cliffs that help control the temperature and humidity in the aging environment.
- In both facilities, the Gruyère receives regular care from robots designed to manage the back-breaking task of flipping & rubbing these 80-lb wheels on a regular basis, to ensure even aging and integrity of the rind.
When you receive your cheese, unpack the order and refrigerate the items. We recommend using the cheese paper we send most of our products in to store the cheese. The cheese paper helps cover the items and stop them from drying out, while also allowing the cheese to breathe. Since cheese is mold, it's a living thing! If you cut off air circulation to the cheese, you can actually cause it to suffocate and spoil at a faster rate.
- At Murray’s, we are cheese experts and enthusiasts who make, source, sell, and serve exceptional cheese and specialty foods nationwide.
- The Murray’s Cheese branded product line comprises deliciously distinct, time-honored products made with the finest ingredients by passionate producers across the globe.
- These products have been hand-selected by our trusted cheesemongers, who travel the world to taste countless items in search of flavors that are exceptional enough to be included in our branded product line.
- We build strong relationships with our talented production partners. They trust our team to handle the extraordinary goods they’ve worked hard to perfect, as we bring them to households across the country.
- Whether you’re looking for Gruyère from Switzerland, Brie from France, or Prosciutto di Parma from Italy, with a Murray’s branded product, you’ll receive our favorite version of a traditional product at an incredible value.