Winter Citrus Salad with Project X & Citrus Vinaigrette
Winter Citrus Salad with Project X & Citrus VinaigretteA veggie vehicle for some melted delight
We’re cutting through the cold weather with some bright citrus and leafy greens. Featuring shavings of nutty, herbaceous Project X straight from Murray’s caves and marinated slices of orange and grapefruit, this winter salad is a fresh bite of summer flavor.
Winter Citrus Salad with Project X & Citrus VinaigretteA summer stunner for the cold weather
- Prep Time : 30 min.
- Cook Time : 0 min.
- Total Time : 30 min.
- Serves 1
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- 1 bunch Lacinato Kale
- 1 head Castelfranco Radicchio (or other variety of bitter green)
- 3 Satsuma Mandarins
- 1 Cara Cara Orange
- 1 Grapefruit or Pomelo
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 8 oz. Project X, shaved
- 4 oz. Marcona Almonds
- 4 oz. Pitted Castelvetrano Olives, halved
- 1/2 cup Murray’s Picual Reserva EVOO
- 1/4 cup Murray’s Pink Grapefruit Vinegar
- 3 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly ground Black Pepper
- Begin by marinating the citrus. To prepare the mandarin, peel the skin and separate each segment, set aside into a small bowl. For the orange and grapefruit, cut the skin off, so there is very little white pith remaining. Using a sharp knife, cut the citrus into segments. Place into the same bowl as the mandarin, then add a teaspooon of salt and the sugar. Let the citrus marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- Wash all produce. Cut the base off of the fennel bulb and slice in half. Using a triangular cut, remove the tough stem from the middle of the bulb. Then slice the fennel as thinly as possible, preferably using a mandolin. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Remove the stems from the kale. Roll the leaves up into a cigar shapes and thinly slice. Cut the stem base off of the radicchio and then cut in half. Remove the leaves separately, leaving them in large pieces.
- To make the quick vinaigrette, separate 1/4 cup of the juices from the marinating citrus into another small bowl and add the grapefruit vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil and then season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the salad, dress the fennel, kale, radicchio with the vinaigrette. Add the grated cheese then toss to combine. Place into a serving bowl, then garnish with the almonds and olives.