Jake Cohen’s Latkes with Apple, Honey, and Gjetost Topping
Recipe: Jake Cohen’s Latkes with Apple, Honey, and Gjetost Topping
Jake Cohen’s Latkes with Apple, Honey, and Gjetost ToppingClassic potato pancakes topped with a modern take on a traditional sweet-salty combination
- Prep Time : 10 min.
- Cook Time : 15 min.
- Total Time : 25 min.
- Makes 10 Latkes
- FOR CRISPY POTATO LATKES
- 16 ounces russet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and quartered
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/4 cup matzo meal
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- vegetable oil, for frying
Directions For Latkes
- Using a food processor fitted with the coarse grating attachment, grate together potatoes and onion.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl lined with cheesecloth and wring out thoroughly in cloth to squeeze out any liquid. Discard liquid, then toss vegetable mixture with remaining ingredients until completely incorporated.
- Heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, scoop ⅓ cup balls of latke mixture and drop into pan. Using a flat spatula, smash the latkes to flatten. Cook, flipping once, until golden, 2-3 minutes per side, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Directions For Topping
- In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice, honey, salt and apples over medium heat. Cook until the apples are soft and the liquid has reduced into a syrup, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Top each latke with 1 slice gjetost cheese, a spoon of the cooled apples and a piece of honeycomb, then serve.